Friday, July 13, 2007

Louisiana becomes last state to ban cockfights

From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

The only state where breeders can still legally pit fighting roosters against each other in bloody battles to the death has officially banned cockfighting starting next summer.

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco signed the ban today, ending years of dispute among legislators, the cockfighting industry and the animal rights groups that consider the fights barbaric.


Click here for the rest.

Right. So of course, I was amazed a couple of years ago when I first started hearing about the big political cockfighting debate here in Louisiana. I was like "they've still got cockfighting?" Well, it makes sense in a weird way: racism is still big here; political corruption is almost on the scale of the third world; people respect the past in this state in sometimes utterly bizarre ways. Yeah, cockfighting strikes me as being very Louisiana. Not that I mean any disrespect to the state--I mean, I really love it here. But cockfighting? Fucking hell, that shit's just plain sadistic! 'Bout fucking time they got rid of it.



$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$