Tuesday, December 23, 2008

X-MAS HIATUS

Or do I mean X-Men?

You know, I remember when I was a kid that evangelical Christians were fighting against another earlier "war on Christmas," albeit with a great deal less venom than the one being waged by the likes of Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity today. "Put Christ back in Christmas" was a religious slogan attempting to beat down usage by retailers of the abbreviation "X-Mas," which seemed to literally remove the word "Christ" from the word "Christmas." That first war appeared to end in the early 80s when somebody from the fundamentalist ranks decided that the "X" in "X-Mas" is actually a reference to the cross on which Jesus was crucified.

If only this latest straw-man cultural war could end so easily. And really, this is all so silly. I mean, Christmas is actually a pagan winter solstice celebration that was co-opted by the Church centuries ago. I mean, c'mon. What the fuck do pine trees have to do with Jesus?

Anyway, I'm sneaking into Houston to celebrate the Yule with family, but for only a couple of nights. Real Art should be back up and running by Boxing Day.

But before I go, I've got a few gifts for you. You know how much I love Christmas, after all. First, a few photos of my Christmas decorations.

My crappy fiber optic tree.



A few stockings I've picked up over the years.



My ceramic Nutcracker scene.



Some of my many weird Santas.



More weird Santas, as well as my Puss in Boots Christmas nutcracker, which actually cracks nuts, which is what the season is all about.



Here's a cool animation of Ella Fitzgerald singing "Sleigh Ride;" apparently, this is a promo for Verve Records, an excellent and venerable jazz label:



And finally, have a gander at the classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," in three parts.

One



Two



Three



Okay, that just about does it. See ya'll Friday. Merry Christmas to all! Ho ho ho! I just love to say "ho."


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$