Wednesday, April 01, 2009

STAR TREK
Where No Man Has Gone Before


From Wikipedia:

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is the second pilot episode of the television series Star Trek (later known as Star Trek: The Original Series). It was produced in 1965 after the first pilot, "The Cage", had been rejected by NBC. The episode was eventually broadcast third in sequence on September 22, 1966, and was re-aired on April 20, 1967.

Where No Man Has Gone Before was written by Samuel A. Peeples, directed by James Goldstone, and filmed in July 1965. It was the first episode of Star Trek to feature William Shatner as Captain James Kirk, and also introduced James Doohan ("Scotty") and George Takei (Sulu). In the episode, the Starship Enterprise journeys to the edge of the galaxy, where two crew members develop dangerous psychic powers. The episode's title was adopted as the final phrase in the opening credits' voice-over that famously characterizes the Star Trek series, and has entered popular American culture.


More here.

So I got a tip today from my old pal Brian via Facebook:

Star Trek on netflix? Pshaw - go to www.cbs.com, search for Star Trek and you can watch the whole series in HD or originally broadcast SD, all in full resolution flash.

They put that site up 2 weeks (I kid you not) after the WGA walked away from all online rights for shows prior to 1974 last fall. The HD versions are what was released on HD-DVD and will be out in blu ray next month.
The WGA, of course, is the Writer's Guild of America, which has been in all sorts of contractual hell with studios over internet royalties. Their loss is our gain, I suppose--I mean, I really do support their right to royalties, especially when there's so much money being made out there by the entertainment corporations...but...you know...I'm going to watch Star Trek for free over the internet, damn it; no picket line's going to stop me!

Uh, anyway, here's the the pilot episode, one of my favorites:



Heh. I'm sure you're realizing by now that I'm going to post all seventy eight episodes here at Real Art. I mean, not all at once, of course. And after that is Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks. Hahahahahahahahah!!!!! Who needs TV?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$