Tuesday, February 03, 2015

GOP senator: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory burden’

From Raw Story:

Tillis said that at about that time, a Starbucks employee came out of one of the restrooms.

“Don’t you believe that this regulation that requires this gentlemen to wash his hands before he serves your food is important?” Tillis was asked by the person at his table. 

“I think it’s one I can illustrate the point,” Tillis told the women. “I said, I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as the post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restrooms.’ The market will take care of that.”

More here.

This guy's notion that restaurants would have to put up a sign saying that their employees don't wash their hands is sort of weirdly inconsistent with his overall idea. That is, such a sign is just another "onerous regulation." The way the real "free market" theorists would have it is that restaurants would advertise that they do, rather than don't, require employee hand washing. And that's how the "free market" really functions. In theory, anyway.

On the other hand, I would hate to have to file a lawsuit just because of false advertising about hand washing. I mean, I'd have to get typhoid or something just to have standing. And even then, conservatives would call my lawsuit "frivolous."

It's all Alice in Wonderland with these maroons.

At any rate, everything that's wrong with modern conservatism is right here. I mean, this says it all. This is why conservatism is totally f'd up. This philosophical point of view, and I'm using the word "philosophical" in an extremely ironic way, is why this country is going to hell in a hand basket. An unregulated hand basket.

Why anybody, anybody at all, takes conservatism seriously these days is absolutely beyond me. I wonder if all these people get brain parasites or something because they don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

I'm willing to entertain any theory about it now because it really has come to a point of incomprehensibility.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$