Monday, May 11, 2015

Abbott signs bill letting students graduate without passing all STAAR tests

From the Montgomery County Courier:

Students who don’t pass all of their state standardized tests can now graduate anyway.

Governor Greg Abbott signed Senate Bill 149, filed by Amarillo Republican Kel Seliger, into law Monday morning, putting the law into effect immediately. The bill allows students to be forgiven for not passing up to two state tests, called STAAR End of Course exams (EOCs), and meeting certain criteria.


More here.

Okay, as many of you know, I trash Republicans and conservatives fairly consistently here on facebook, which is why I feel I should always be up front and honest whenever Republicans do something I really like. Today, my new governor, in association with the GOP dominated Ledge, did something I ABSOLUTELY like. They backed us away a bit from education's longstanding testing mania. And they even provided some really good multifaceted standards for graduating from high school without having passed all these tests, which is exactly the direction we need to be going.

It makes me feel good when I'm able to say truthfully, without irony or condescension, good work Republicans!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$