Friday, January 24, 2003

AN OPEN LETTER TO FRANCE AND GERMANY FROM AN AMERICAN

To whom it may concern:

My government's executive branch has been illegally seized by power hungry, war mongering fools who are every bit as fundamentalist in their Christian views as their Islamic counterparts are. I fear these machiavellian madmen are leading the United States down the path of self-destruction, and my fellow countrymen are either too anesthetized by television, religion, and material comforts, or too blinded by the most effective propaganda system ever devised to do anything to stop it.

Insanity reigns in America. We desperately need your help.

In World War II, many Americans sacrificed their lives to help end fascism's tight grip on the European continent; to do so was not only altruistic and just but also self-serving. Now, as a very frightened United States citizen, I beg you to help us. To do so would not only be altruistic and just but would also greatly serve your interests: I assume that Europeans have no desire to fall under American hegemony--if the White House continues with its imperialist designs, such a thought is not inconceivable.

American culture descends from European culture. We are kinsmen, brothers. Please help us.

France has a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council; I understand that Germany will soon be rotating onto the Council as its Chair. The British are of no use; their government seems to be suffering a dementia similar to our own. Your two nations, therefore, have the ability to forestall the coming invasion of Iraq for a period of time. This is vital; once the war starts, if history is any indicator, the American public will push aside any questions of peace in order to rally behind our flag. Once the bombs start to drop, blind patriotism and blind support for the carnage and slaughter will embolden our bloodthirsty leaders to ever-higher levels of violence and arrogance. That's why the blatantly imperialist invasion of Iraq by the United States must be held off for as long as possible: the American peace movement grows, but is not yet powerful enough to stop those who Bob Dylan once called the "Masters of War."

Do not be bullied by George W. Bush; he's not as tough as he wants everybody to think he is and I believe that he will back down in the face of overwhelming resistance. That is, after all, what one does to a bully: stand up to him.

But the American peace movement needs more time. We are not yet overwhelming.

Please help us. Please help everybody. Right now, you may be the world's only hope.

Sincerely,

Ron $$$$$$
United States citizen
Harris County, Texas resident ("The Execution Capitol of the World")

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Now I've just got to figure out who I'm supposed to send this to. I guess I'll do a web search or something. Any suggestions? Just email me at the address in the upper left corner.

And, what the hell, I guess I'll post this, too:

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone
Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire.
I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in
person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission
to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital
to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2
unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid
safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour.
Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."

I guess it's hard to shake my influences.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$