Sunday, March 13, 2005

What would Jesus not do? Pass bankruptcy legislation

From the Houston Chronicle op-ed page:

The Torah regulates it. The Old Testament leader Nehemiah once decreed an end to it. And Jesus' parables taught forgiveness for it.

Debt, according to the Bible, is a moral issue.

But here's the new moral lesson from the U.S. Senate's just-passed reform of banking laws: If you're middle-income, it should be illegal to "abuse" bankruptcy laws. But if you're rich, it's OK to escape debt by manipulating the system.

Not only is that un-biblical — it's against every principle of Christian ethics that I've learned in seminary.

Click here for the rest.

More and more, I'm coming to the conclusion that the vast majority of American Christians don't really follow Christ at all. They follow their all too human leaders who have become very adept at twisting the philosopy of Jesus such that it becomes the very opposite of what He actually had to say. If I still counted myself a believer, I'd be sick to my stomach. Instead, I'm just kind of angry. I mean, if American Christians really tried to live in a Christ-like way, I think our country would be waaaay different, more fair and just, more compassionate. I'm really tantalized by such a thought, and I think there's some kind of political strategy here on which the do-nothing Democrats would do well to capitalize. But like that's going to happen.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$