Monday, November 07, 2005

Collins won't rule out Genesis reunion with Gabriel

Say what? From the AP via the Houston Chronicle:

Phil Collins says he's open to the idea of a Genesis reunion.

Nothing has been announced, but the 54-year-old British singer, who is touring the Middle East, says: "There's a possibility. I'm open for it."

"If it doesn't happen, it won't be because we don't want to. It will just be because there are too many things in the way," he said Sunday. "I'm happy to sit behind the drum kit and let Peter (Gabriel) be the singer, but if it happens, I'll be there."


Click
here for the rest.

A deep dark secret from my past is that I was once a progressive or "art" rock junkie in high school and college. Pretty much all I listen to these days is jazz, but back in the 80s I snatched up Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, King Crimson, and Brian Eno albums like they were going out of style. Okay, they were out of style at that point, but I totally loved their pretentious lyrics and grandiose rock arrangements. Of course, I loved Genesis, too. Really, I still love all that music; I just don't seem to listen to it much anymore, although I did get back into Genesis' Foxtrot album for a few weeks a couple of years ago. "Supper's Ready" is still great, as is "Watcher of the Skies." The album was recorded when their lineup of players was at its height: Peter Gabriel on lead vocals, Phil Collins on drums, Steve Hackett on lead guitar, Tony Banks on keyboards, and Mike Rutherford on bass and rhythm guitar, all top notch musicians. That's why the potential for a Genesis reunion with Gabriel makes me so excited. When they were on, they were on. And Gabriel was the poetic soul of the band.


This could be pretty cool if it actually happens.


Peter Gabriel, back in the day.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$