Wednesday, November 12, 2014

15 Charts That Prove We're Far From Post-Racial

From the Huffington Post:

On July 2, 1964, the Civil Rights Act was signed into law, officially banning discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. It also ended racial segregation in schools, at the workplace and in general public facilities.

Fifty years removed from that milestone, it's apparently easy to think that we're over racism.

Here are 15 facts that prove that's not the case.


Click here for the list.

I posted this article on the facebook discussion thread accompanying an essay about white privilege a friend linked on my timeline.  It really pushed one commenter into some spasms of rage: he insisted that there is no white privilege, and that blacks are essentially to blame for their own plight.  A little back and forth between the two of us, and I just gave up on trying to address him point for point.  I mean, when you argue with a crazy person, you automatically lose.  So I adjusted my approach, and just blasted his entire point of view on this.

Here's what I wrote when I posted the above linked article:

All I can do is continue asserting that you have no idea what you're talking about. Well, I can also observe that you just don't seem to care about the facts. Indeed, one cannot assert the trash you're asserting WITHOUT ignoring the facts, which is why you just sidestep most of what I say about this issue.

The bottom line is that racism and discrimination exist, and they exist in a big way. And it cannot be denied.

How can your "culture of poverty," which implicitly suggests that blacks are lazy, and your "culture of aggressive ignorance," which implicitly suggests blacks are stupid, apply to any of these various manifestations of racism linked below? They don't apply. Not at all. And that's why you never talk about them, never address them. You're holding onto these vile and false views for reasons having nothing to do with reality. You need to let it go and join civilization.
'Nuff said.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$